Oh Helloooo...

Welcome to my blog! I'll be blogging about writing for children, children's books, and curious things.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

I LOVE PICTURE BOOKS!

My first love. Picture Books.  When I go to a bookstore with the intent to read picture books, I go alone ‘cause I’m likely to get lost in a pile of brand new PB’s. After a couple of hours I might then torment myself trying to decide which PB to purchase and take home with me.
Do I go with a Skippyjon Jones, story of a spunky imaginative Siamese kitten that makes me laugh and reminds me of my late Siamese-Tabby, Tiffany. I had always wanted to write a PB with Tiffany as my muse. Perhaps, I still will. Any whooo… I just love this story. The illustrations also by the author, Judy Schachner, are incredible. Holy Gucaomole! So much fun!
Go to "Skippyjon Jones" page
Or there’s The Elephant Wish by Lou Berger and Illustrated by one of my favorites Ana Juan. Wistful and imaginative, and ever so slightly haunting.  Just my kind of story.
Go to "The Elephant Wish" page
I could go on and on…
Picture books - Illustrations and words beautifully coming together to tell a story, evoking emotion and thought.
I love spending time with a great picture book.
How about you?
Oh, and as to which book I took home? Both, of course. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your super blog, Cheryl! Loved this first post, too. I love picture books, and really miss illustrated novels, too. Did you know that Sherlock Holmes' iconic deerstalker hat was an illustrator addition? Nowhere in any of Conan Doyle's writing did he describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lia! I did not know that about Sherlock Holmes' hat. I love that!

    ReplyDelete